Tuesday, April 19, 2011

2days in the boat

I have paddled the Mohawk  twice now.  The river is up running 400cfs or so.  Day one found me out at The Dan River Company on a nice Sunday afternoon planning on an up stream paddle.  The volume of water changed my mind, so I decided to piddle around by the shop.  I eddie hopped  up to the first rapid and practiced my ferries.  Back and forth I went across the current between the eddies on either side.  I practiced a few peel outs but was underwhelmed with my ability to do so.

Monday Allison and I paddled the six mile trip from 89 back to DRC.   The water was still over 350cfs so the normal lines we run in summer were gone.  It was nice not to have to worry about getting stuck in the shallows, but The Flipper and Wandle's Wave were blown out.  The Play Wave was fast, deep and powerful.  In a new boat I questioned my ability to get through it without a swim.  I did manage to bomb right through though.

It was a nice paddle and I have learned a good deal more about my boat.  I managed a low brace at Wandle's   that nearly had my onside gunnel in the water.  I really need to work on my forward stroke so I can build speed without having to make corrective strokes. White Water boats really make you paddle with correct form.  I can get away with a lot more slop in my forward stroke on flat water boats.  My cross draw felt pretty good, so I was pleased with that.

I have been reading up on Bob Foote's technique section on his website and in the next few days will have Alli video me paddling so I can further analyse my stroke.




No comments:

Post a Comment